Experimenting with Pro Markers

I wanted to experiment with Pro markers as this is one of Victoria Jenkin’s vital tools to create her signature illustrations. In order to do this, I broke down the process and taken it step by step, showing the process of how Victoria completes her illustrations. Below is the image I am going to recreate:

 

14676541_367418390262280_2664770398188470272_n

Copyright:

http://www.instagram.com

Step one:

scan_20170116-2

The first step I carried out was drawing the outline in pencil. This ensures the drawing was in proportion before I added any pen or colour. I wanted to create the exaggerated body that Victoria created, with the dress being long, this created an illusion of longer legs. I ensured the model has a small waist in comparison to the rest of the body as this is one of Victoria’s illustration’s main characteristics. I ensured the detail of the dress was also outlined in pencil as I wanted to challenge myself after by using pantone markers on this dress to creating shadow and light.

Step Two:

scan_20170116-3

The next step I carried out was going over my drawing in fine, black pen. This created a more animated and clean finish especially after I erased out the pencil lines. I believe this is a method Victoria uses before she adds any colour to her illustrations. I think this method is very effective as finishes the drawing very well and it means when I add colour, I can clearly distinguish different areas to apply the correct colours in comparison to a light pencil outline.

Step Three:

scan_20170116-6

The final step I carried out was adding colour using Pro markers. I haven’t used Pro markers in a couple of years so it took me time to get used to it. I started off with the skin tone and tested various skin tone colours on a blank page to achieve the best match with Victoria’s illustration. I ensured I left white spaces to create light on the model and to create shadow, I would layer colours of marker on top of each other so the colour appeared darker. I then moved onto the dress which in my opinion was the most difficult area to add colour to. This is because in the original image the dress was very detailed and had a lot of light and shadow to create that 3D effect. I used the same method to add colour to the dress as I did for the skin tone, leaving areas white to create light and layering layers of colour to create shadow. Lastly, I added colour to the hair which I found relatively easy as I got used to the markers more by this stage.

Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome of this illustration. The pantone markers work very effectively in order to replicate Victoria’s illustrations. One thing I would change is I could complete the illustration by cleaning the drawing using Photoshop as I think this is a technique Victoria uses.

Advertisements